San Francisco, California
Who we are
Sofar is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally).
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
As an electrical engineer at Sofar, you’ll be contributing to new products, incremental updates of our Trident and Spotter products, test-systems and tools. Day-to-day you’ll be working with senior mechanical and electrical engineers, as well as the software and production teams. You have a solid foundation of EE skills, but are a generalist at heart and love learning new things.
You’re confident in your ability to take a new design from concept all the way to working boards – including component selection, schematic capture, layout, managing fabrication as well as assembling prototypes.
You love problem solving and relish the chance to track down and debug mind-bending failures.
Maybe you’re fresh out of college or have a few years of product experience – either way – this position is one where you’ll have an opportunity to learn from senior members of our hardware team and gain exposure to new technologies.
You’re confident in your abilities, but also have a good sense of when to reach out to your co-workers for help and guidance.
Essential Job Functions
- With guidance from senior engineers, capture and layout new electrical designs and updates in Altium.
- Build prototypes of designs for validation and stress testing of new systems.
- Help diagnose and debug production and field failures.
- Design and build test systems and tools to support production and design validation efforts.
- Execute tests and experiments and effectively communicate the results to the team.
- Write C/C++ and Python code with guidance from the software team to support testing and validation efforts.
- Perform preliminary component selection, searches and analyses taking constraints into account (i.e. cost, availability, tolerance sensitivities, quality, etc.)
- Work with the supply chain manager to support production component sourcing and approval of new vendors.
- Excellence in Altium.
- Familiarity with RF design and qualification.
- Familiarity with various product certification and safety requirements and testing.
- Experience with mechatronics and control systems.
- Experience building affordable electronics designed to last for a long time in extreme environments.
- Experience with solar and battery powered systems.
- Benchtop skills (hand soldering, SMT reflow, testing tools, mechanical tinkering).
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Basic foundational understanding of analog and digital circuits and systems, high-speed design considerations, power systems and topologies, and digital communication protocols.
- Competency in a common ECAD suite (Altium, ORCAD, KiCAD, Eagle).
- Ability to create basic models, simulations, and mathematical analyses to support design decisions.
- Some basic coursework and abilities in Computer Science.
- Demonstrate initiative, self-motivation, conscientiousness, respect of others, and provide complete follow-through on areas of responsibility..
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP