San Francisco, California
Sofar is on a mission to connect humanity to our world’s oceans. We collect data from a global network of distributed sensors to create the best marine weather forecasts. With more ocean data we help maritime customers to save fuel and reduce emissions. Our hardware and software platforms give researchers vital tools to understand the impact of climate change on commercial fisheries and coral reefs. Our goal is to provide critical ocean data and insights to anyone who lives near, or makes a living on the two-thirds of our planet that is covered by water.
We are looking for an experienced embedded engineer who is passionate about physical computing and electronics, and loves helping to bring designs from concept to product. This role will primarily be focused on scaling, production and testing, dfm. There will also be opportunities to contribute directly to new designs. You have broad experience in electrical engineering, writing embedded firmware, and working with Python. You’re excited to have the opportunity to grow your craft by collaborating with electrical and software design engineers on architecture and component selection. As part of a small and amazingly multi-disciplinary team including software engineers, mechanical and electrical engineers, product designers, scientists, generalists, and salespeople, you relish the opportunity to teach and learn from completely different domains.
- Building new integrations for Spotter and Smart Mooring
- Subsystem development in next generation platforms
- Advanced research and experiments with new and emerging technologies
- Integrated system testing, open ocean deployments, and the occasional throwing of things out of airplanes to see what breaks
- Collaborate with engineering and product team to build and execute testing plans for design validation and production workflow
- Schematic capture, PCB layout, prototyping and testing of fixture designs
- Write embedded test firmware in C/C++ and fixture software in Python
- Ensure testability and productization is accounted for in new designs by participating in design reviews and whiteboard discussions with your teammates
- Work alongside hardware engineers in integrating, testing and debugging prototype systems
- 1+ years professional embedded systems experience
- Degree in electrical or computer engineering, or equivalent learning experience
- Comfortable working in embedded C/C++ and Python
- Solid understanding of common low level hardware peripherals and interfaces
- Past work in IoT, robotics, drones and/or automotive products
- Past work in products for marine or other harsh environments
- Competency in node.js or other high level web languages/frameworks
- Competency in Altium
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP.