San Francisco, California
Who we are
Sofar is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally).
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
Who you are
You are a problem-solving, self-motivated team-player who wants to see their engineering talents have a direct impact on the success of your team and company.
You care most about the success of the greater team and the impact of what we build together. When somebody is struggling with their part of the project, you are helpful and work with them to get their work across the finish line.
When you get up in the morning, you show up for work because you are excited about the people you work with and the projects you’re working on.
As a front end software engineer, you’ll get plenty of creative license on all of our company products. As far as the day-to-day goes, you’ll be mostly working with the other members of the software team and also staying in sync with our branding and marketing team.
You enjoy writing front-end code that will actually be released to production.
You love creating user interfaces that are built entirely with a friendly and easy-to-use customer experience in mind.
You enjoy both plugging in your headphones and jamming out some new code, but also appreciate the time when collaborating and working closely with your teammates.
You have strong opinions about what you’re creating. You’re comfortable following a designer’s lead on what something should look like, but also have a good sense for when to push back and interject a new idea or a different direction. Additionally, you’re not afraid to push back on a design if you know the amount of work required to complete it in code is too high an effort.
Essential Job Functions
- Create amazing data visualizations and customer experiences for all our internal and external facing tools.
- Form and communicate opinions on what type of user interfaces we should be creating for our customers.
- Own new front-end interfaces for our applications and support current products by following existing design patterns.
- Apply deep knowledge of front-end frameworks and able to compare and contrast different tech stacks and libraries to decide which option(s) are best for a given problem.
- Establish and define integration contracts with backend servers.
- Take whiteboard discussions to rapid prototypes.
- Work comfortably in both independent and collaborative efforts.
- Create data-driven solutions to aid our understanding of user behavior.
- Experience with React, Angular, Ionic and/or Vue
- Experience mapping out user flows
- Experience making wireframes
- An eye for basic design principles
- Familiarity with Agile practices
Minimum Job Qualifications
- College Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 3+ years professional experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Deep technical knowledge of common web systems, software languages, technology infrastructure and technical frameworks.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, with ability to use data and analytics to understand and improve performance.
- A flexible work schedule and be on-call during evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Demonstrate initiative and self-motivation, conscientious and provide complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP.