Front End Software Engineer
San Francisco, California
Sofar is on a mission to connect humanity to our world’s oceans. We collect data from a global network of distributed sensors to create the best marine weather forecasts. With more ocean data we help maritime customers to save fuel and reduce emissions. Our hardware and software platform gives researchers vital tools to understand the impact of climate change on commercial fisheries and coral reefs. Our goal is to provide critical ocean data and insights to anyone who lives near, or makes a living on the two-thirds of our planet that is covered by water.
We are looking for an experienced, product-driven software engineer who is passionate about building great user experiences. As part of a small but growing engineering team, you will have ownership over large parts of our product and will get to participate in architectural decisions big and small. The right person for this role is driven to produce quality work, can make appropriate tradeoffs when we need to be scrappy, and strives to have empathy for our customers and users.
We are looking for engineers who are proficient with modern front end technologies but aren’t afraid to dive into the back end when needed. Our team encourages teaching and sharing tips across all parts of the stack. Some of the tools we use include React, GraphQL, Typescript, Express, AWS (ECS, Lambda, Kinesis, S3), and Terraform.
Some projects you might be a part of:
- Building reusable components and a Sofar Design System to accelerate the development of frontend apps
- Developing an API Playground that demonstrates common use cases and applications of our data
- Prototyping a ship routing or hurricane risk assessment dashboard to help bring our weather data into new markets
- Visualizing API usage and analytics to help customers understand our products’ value
- Write well-designed code with automated tests
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and designers to understand product requirements and estimate effort
- Participate in code reviews and whiteboard discussions with your teammates
- 3+ years professional software experience with at least one modern front-end web framework (React, Angular, Vue, etc)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with GraphQL and Typescript
- Full-stack experience
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP.