We connect the world’s oceans to provide insights to science, society and industry for a more sustainable planet.
Ocean First - If we have to choose between more profit or a better ocean, we choose the ocean. We have only one planet.
Team Wins - We can only accomplish this mission together. Respect and help others, always.
Challenge with Heart - Vocal about ideas, listen, discuss, and commit.
Ship for Opportunity - Pragmatic perfectionism. Build for the mission, so we can innovate faster.
Our network provides unprecedented access to real-time ocean data and makes the Sofar Marine Weather Forecast better than any other. Our data insights contribute to trillions of dollars of economic value generated in and around our planet’s oceans. Our customer segments include: Aquaculture, Coastal Engineering, Environmental Consulting, Governments, Maritime Shipping, Offshore Energy, Ports & Harbors, and Research & Universities.
Our team combines deep expertise in ocean science with the best in technology and innovation. We are a highly collaborative bunch of ocean enthusiasts and keep our offices close to the water (literally). We maintain a work atmosphere that embraces curiosity and encourages experimentation, but when we need to get something done, we switch gears and move fast.
We are looking for a Head of Product to drive, design and build our flagship software product to make navigation of the worlds’ oceans more safe and efficient, while reducing costs and carbon emissions.
As a product leader at Sofar, you will work closely with the company’s CEO , VP of Sales, and Software engineering lead to develop and implement the product vision.
As Head of Product at Sofar your initial focus will be on building our Wayfinder ocean navigation product, a disruptive product for the maritime shipping industry that utilizes the Sofar proprietary global data network and models. To be successful, you will:
- Work closely with CEO and sales leadership to define product vision
- Own the product roadmap and strategy
- Drive, manage, and own product design and development efforts
- Set and communicate roadmaps, priorities, experiments and decisions across all stakeholders (internal and external)
- Inspire sales, product, and engineering teams to push our thinking in new ways
- Phase 1 (8-12 months): Build the foundations of the Product team/process at Sofar as an individual contributor
- Phase 2: Build, lead, and mentor a high-performing multi-disciplinary team across hardware, data, and software products
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience as a product leader for an enterprise software product
- Want to build products that matter and improve our world.
- Proven track record of leading a product through development to a very successful launch and massive adoption (relative to use case)
- Natural ability to make things happen around you
- Like to roll up your sleeves and take ownership
- Manage project ambiguity, complexity, and interdependencies in an organized and structured way.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills
- Natural curiosity towards understanding customer needs, ability to synthesize these into opportunities and translate this into product specification
- Willingness to move fast, be flexible, and grow as our team and product grows
- Deep passion for the Ocean
- Experience with maritime shipping and/or logistics optimization problems
- Experience working in a startup environment
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
If this aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP.
We realize a job description is just a guideline highlighting the core things we think we need but understand that nobody squarely fits a description. If you feel passionate about our ocean mission, but not exactly aligning with the description, do send us a note! We are always interested in hearing from those with a desire to make a difference.