San Francisco, California
Who we are
Sofar is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team’s unique combination of ocean science, technology, and innovation drives us to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally). We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast. We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
We are looking for a new team member to help drive our rapidly expanding global ocean weather forecast capabilities. You will take on the development and operational implementation of our global circulation models. You are exceptionally passionate about ocean modeling, and have extensive experience with both theoretical and operational aspects of numerical ocean circulation models and data assimilation. Most importantly, you are a quick learner, thrive in an environment that is focused on innovation and doing things differently, and you are excited about developing and applying new strategies to modeling and data interpretation across a breadth of applications. You are also excited about working as part of a team and help others excel.
- Develop an operational implementation of ocean circulation model
- Establish metrics for model performance and scalability
- Work with the team to integrate with other models and observational data, and develop efficient assimilation strategies
- Help create a revolutionary new approach to ocean modeling and forecasting capabilities!
- Working experience with either atmospheric or wave modeling.
- Experience in working with large datasets.
- Experience working with observational data
- Java / Fortran / C experience.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Graduate degree (or equivalent experience) in either Oceanography, Meteorology, physics, or related fields.
- Expert knowledge in theoretical and operational aspects of ocean modeling.
- Extensive experience with a modern numerical ocean circulation model.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Open to new ideas and willingness to learn new things.
- Demonstrate initiative and self-motivation.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP.