San Francisco, California
Who we are
Sofar is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally).
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
We are looking for a new team member to help drive our rapidly expanding global ocean weather forecast capabilities. You will drive the expansion of our data ingestion and assimilation strategies, develop and implement validation metrics, and help iterate on, and improve, our forecast capabilities.
You have experience with remote sensing products (that are sending data back in real-time!) and cross-sensor validation. You are passionate about geophysical data, you understand numerical forecast models and sensor data, and you have experience in meteorology or oceanography. Most importantly, you are a quick learner, thrive in an environment that is focused on innovation and doing things differently, and you are excited about developing and applying new strategies to modeling and data interpretation across a breadth of applications.
- Own large geophysical datasets using your extensive experience.
- Crunch data with your excellent Python or Matlab skills.
- Integrate data into ocean weather forecasting models.
- Ensure data accuracy of our products.
- Help create a revolutionary new approach to ocean modeling and forecasting capabilities!
- Working experience with either atmospheric, ocean circulation, or wave modeling.
- Java / Fortran / C experience.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Graduate degree (or equivalent experience) in either Oceanography, Meteorology, physics, or related fields.
- Experience working with ocean remote sensing data or other geophysical environments (ocean circulation, ocean surface winds, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrate initiative and self-motivation.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Applicant must be eligible to work in US.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP