Principal Embedded Software Engineer
San Francisco, California
Sofar is on a mission to connect humanity to our world’s oceans. We collect data from a global network of distributed sensors to create the best marine weather forecasts. With more ocean data we help maritime customers to save fuel and reduce emissions. Our hardware and software platforms give researchers vital tools to understand the impact of climate change on commercial fisheries and coral reefs. Our goal is to provide critical ocean data and insights to anyone who lives near, or makes a living on the two-thirds of our planet that is covered by water.
We are looking for a seasoned mage who is passionate about physical computing and driven by mission and shipping product. You will be the principal engineer on various low level embedded applications and platforms. You will regularly take abstract feature requests and turn them into an executional plan, communicate with the rest of the team, and will often help mentor and guide the effort of one or two junior colleagues. You relish a good challenge – debugging a sinister issue under a pressing deadline sounds like just another Tuesday to you. In addition to being a technical leader, you’re also an easy-going and patient team member. As part of a small and amazingly multi-disciplinary team including software engineers, mechanical and electrical engineers, product designers, scientists, generalists, and salespeople, you relish the opportunity to teach and learn from completely different domains.
Some projects you’ll be a part of:
- Building the application framework for a next generation hardware platform
- Designing and implementing test, build and board support tooling
- Building open source integrations for Trident and Smart Mooring
- Advanced research and experiments with new and emerging technologies
- Providing support to integrated system testing, open ocean deployments, and the occasional throwing of things out of airplanes to see what breaks
- Architect and write well-designed efficient code with automated tests
- Collaborate with other engineers and product stakeholders to understand product requirements, and document and estimate implementation effort
- Participate in code reviews and whiteboard discussions with your teammates
- Lead and mentor 1 to 2 more junior engineers in execution of projects
- Work alongside hardware engineers in integrating, testing and debugging systems
- 3+ years professional embedded software experience
- Strong in embedded C/C++
- Able to bring a toolchain and board support for a new platform from 0 to 1
- Significant experience with bare metal and various RTOS systems
- Solid understanding of common hardware peripherals and interfaces
- Experience with ARM Cortex M0 - M4 cores
- Experience with embedded Linux
- Past work in IoT, robotics, drones and/or automotive products
- Some ability and understanding of electrical engineering
- Competency in Python
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP.