San Francisco, California
Who we are
Sofar is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally).
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
Who you are
You are a problem-solving, self-motivated team-player who wants to see their product vision and creativity have a huge impact on the success of the company.
You care most about the success of the greater team and the impact of what we build together. When a teammate is struggling on a feature you've spec'ed out, you're understanding and constructive when coming up with the path forward.
When you get up in the morning, you show up for work because you are excited about the people you work with and the projects you drive.
As a product manager, you will own the direction, feature prioritization, and customer experience for some of the coolest ocean robotics and sensing platforms on the planet.
This isn’t your average product management position - you will get the opportunity to make an outsized impact on our company and the entire ocean community by establishing the direction and market for our unique products and technologies. This role will require an aptitude for understanding how to prioritize software and hardware features and the associated data-driven analysis skills to understand the trade-offs of how we spend engineering time.
In addition, you’ll have to be able to truly empathize with our customers and their unique use cases of our products. What’s the best way to allow a scientist wearing bulky gloves in Antarctica to quickly get their Trident ROV beneath the ice? How do you create an experience that can convince a grizzled maritime captain who’s spent their whole life at sea that they can trust our technology? Which data are oceanographers around the world most desperate to start gathering? These are experiences and questions that you’ll have to intimately understand.
You can think like an engineer, pow-wow with our sales folks, and talk shop on long-term business development strategies.
Essential Job Functions
- Understand our markets, competitors, regulators, and influencers.
- Understand our customers’ business challenges, strategies, and requirements.
- Produce, refine, and own product requirement documents and project management tools.
- Team with engineering to ensure products and features are launched in a timely manner with appropriate quality.
- Team with customer support to understand our customer use cases and pain points.
- Team with sales and marketing to perfect our customer adoption process and help hit strong sales goals.
- Champion a strong culture of building tools for a great customer experience.
- Clearly own and define the definition of product success.
- Own the product vision and roadmap.
- Prior working knowledge of ocean-based industries.
- Experience working in software and hardware environments.
- BS or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Software Engineering.
- Knowledge of regulatory ocean bodies.
- Understanding of ocean science and research.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Equivalent of 5+ years of enterprise software, robotics, or software as a service product management or similar experience.
- Advanced experience working with enterprise customers and strong focus on customer success.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and complex client environment.
- Comfort working in a small team (20-30 people) with lots of autonomy and a startup culture.
- Excellent verbal, written and group communication skills, with an ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Collaborative with a can-do attitude.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP