Sofar is on a mission to connect humanity to our world’s oceans. We collect data from a global network of distributed sensors to create the best marine weather forecasts. With more ocean data we help maritime customers to save fuel and reduce emissions. Our hardware and software platforms give researchers vital tools to understand the impact of climate change on commercial fisheries and coral reefs. Our goal is to provide critical ocean data and insights to anyone who lives near, or makes a living on the two-thirds of our planet that is covered by water.
We are looking for a product-driven software engineer to join our team as we build a new software product for the maritime shipping industry. Building a great product will require you to have a deep understanding of our customers, their workflows, and the data they work with every day. You will collaborate with a top-notch team of engineers, ocean scientists and product designers to translate these user needs into high quality software that empowers our users with data to get their work done more efficiently.
Our tech stack includes Typescript and React on the frontend with backend APIs written using Typescript, Express, Postgres, and Nest.js, along with some data processing services written in Python. We envision this as a full-stack role, but encourage engineers with experience in at least one part of this stack and a willingness to learn more to apply.
- Passionate about building a product with a positive impact on the world
- 3+ years experience of professional software development experience
- Significant professional experience with Typescript, React, Express, Postgres, and/or Nest.js
- Strong knowledge of how modern cloud applications and the web work
- Willing to learn new tools, languages, and patterns as needed to build a great product
- A solid communicator who enjoys collaborating with other engineers, designers, PMs, and scientists
- Excited to be be a part of a small but growing startup team
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP.