San Francisco, California
Who we are
Sofar is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally).
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
Who you are
You are a problem-solving, self-motivated team-player who wants to see their engineering talents have a direct impact on the success of your team and company.
You care most about the success of the greater team and the impact of what we build together. When somebody is struggling with their part of the project, you are helpful and work with them to get their work across the finish line.
When you get up in the morning, you show up for work because you are excited about the people you work with and the projects you’re working on.
As a senior full stack engineer, you’ll be most heavily engaged with the rest of our software team on a day-to-day basis. Your projects will vary based on current company priorities - sometimes they shift quickly, but hey, we’re a start-up, that’s expected - and consequently you’ll get a lot of opportunities to work on different technologies, platforms, and layers of our applications.
We have a small fleet of customer facing apps that are in production - spotter dashboard, sofar spotter app, and the trident controller to name a few - and we’ve got a lot more exciting projects in the works that we haven’t made public yet. You’ll get opportunities to apply your engineering talents to all of them and help us build out the supporting infrastructure - think DevOps. You’ll get ownership of how you write your code (as long as the linter ok’s it) and get to make technical decisions on implementations on all projects you contribute to.
We try to structure our company time with the maker’s schedule in mind - we don’t like to schedule meetings if at all possible. We’ve implemented a lightweight flavor of a kanban agile environment that only requires attending a daily standup.
As a senior engineer, you’ll get opportunities to demonstrate both technical leadership on our projects as well as being a cultural role model for the team and company.
Essential Job Functions
- Architect, design, and implement systems applying advanced understanding of backend, database, and APIs/web services best-practices and architecture.
- Apply working knowledge of VCS’s best practices to develop and maintain code.
- Demonstrate knowledge of SDLC and Agile software development methodologies.
- Take projects from idea inception to code complete.
- Quickly pick up new languages and frameworks.
- Experience with large time series databases.
- Experience in mathematics, science, or signal processing.
- Experience with data science and machine learning.
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks. (Angular, React, Vue, etc.)
- Experience and/or passion for DevOps and CI.
- Familiarity with Node.js.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- College Degree or equivalent learning experience required.
- 4+ years professional experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Deep technical knowledge of common software languages, web systems, technology infrastructure and technical frameworks.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, with ability to use data and analytics to understand and improve performance.
- A flexible work schedule and be on-call during evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Demonstrate initiative and self-motivation, conscientious and provide complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Applicant must be eligible to work in US.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP