San Francisco, California
Sofar is an ocean startup in San Francisco that builds the data platform to provide science, society and industries with the best ocean data and insights. We deploy the first global ocean weather sensor network to fundamentally shift the needle on reducing uncertainty in marine weather forecasts.
We are a group of ocean enthusiasts combining deep expertise in ocean science with the best in technology and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that embraces curiosity and encourages experimentation, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are looking to hire a UI Designer with solid UX skills. Someone who loves designing intuitive experiences and is excited to tackle a design challenge around data visualization, map-based interactions, time series, and geospatial experiences.
At this point we are looking for someone to join for a 3-month contract who will be able to join asap, but potentially transition into a fulltime position.
- Be the voice of user experience design
- Help define the vision for our software products
- Be the ultimate authority on data visualization
- Maintain a cohesive set of UI/UX design principles, strategies and patterns that extend across our platform
- Help identify and translate user needs into design solutions
- Design intuitive solutions for web and mobile applications
- Design, build and iterate on wireframes and create demos and prototypes
- Test ideas with potential users, iterate and refine concepts based on user feedback
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to define the user experience
- Own the design process from initial concept through the execution of design and product release.
- Establish and maintain Sofar’s design language and design system
- BA/BS in Interaction Design, Visual Design, Communication Design or equivalent
- Experience with complex data visualizations.
- Strong knowledge of the do's and don’ts when designing a digital user experience.
- 4+ years professional experience as a UI or UX Designer at a software product company.
- Stellar interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to clearly explain design decisions to anyone in the company
- Expert level skills in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch and/or Figma
- Ability to work autonomously and delivering high quality UI designs
- Ability to iterate rapidly, prototype and experiment
- Ability to gather and translate user feedback into design at all stages of design process
- Experience translating user flows and wireframes into beautiful visual experiences
- Have shipped a software product
- Prior experience in a start-up environment.
- GIS and/or Geospatial design experience.
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS; experience working with front-end developers
- Experience designing map-based data visualizations and interactions
- Experience working in a small startup environment
If this description aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you! Email your resume, portfolio, and a short message explaining why you’re excited about this role to email@example.com and we will get back to you ASAP.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.