San Francisco, California
Who we are
Sofar is powered by the dream to build the world’s best ocean data platform. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, technology, and innovation to develop new solutions for ocean exploration and observation. We are a bunch of ocean nerds and keep our offices close to the water (literally).
We’re a scrappy startup that values teamwork, transparency, and innovation. We maintain a work atmosphere that’s light-hearted and jovial, but when we need to get something done, we can switch gears and move fast.
We are deeply passionate about making ocean data widely available to ocean communities and enthusiasts with powerful tools and visualizations.
We’re looking for a UI/UX guru to join our team and help press the accelerator on our product applications, dashboard data visualizations and delightful user experiences.. You’re probably thinking to yourself, “Oh geez, here’s another Silicon Valley company that wants to sell my creative data visualizations.” Keep reading–we’re different than the rest.
As a UI/UX rockstar at Sofar, you will get to work with data from ocean sensors and robots reporting critical information from all over the globe - nonstop, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All the data we’re collecting needs to be distilled into meaningful presentations and displayed in real-time through unique and simple ways.
You will need to create a narrative for our users to be able to understand complex, multi-layered, geospatial data over periods of time. As we receive new sensor information about the bodies of water covering our planet (things like wave characteristics, video feeds of reefs, wind speed, water temperature, etc.) we want to be able to create a complete and digestible understanding of what’s happening across our globe.
Additionally, you will be the de facto owner and leader for many of our software user experiences.
You will work closely with PhD oceanographers, data scientists, ocean industry experts, and a talented engineering team to derive and create beautiful and meaningful displays of complex information at a global scale.
Some of the problems you’ll solve will involve simple designs following fairly standard design practice patterns. Others will be challenging and somewhat esoteric in nature. There will be a healthy mix of designing incremental improvements to existing products and brand new experiences.
Whatever you create, you’ll need to be comfortable and happy forming and defending strong design opinions.
If you’re looking for cutting edge digital design challenges and the potential to have a hugely positive impact on our oceans and the communities that rely on them, this is the position for you.
- Build great user experiences.
- Maintain a cohesive set of UI/UX design principles, strategies and patterns that extend across our platform.
- Design and build rapid wireframes to test hypotheses.
- Be the ultimate authority on data visualization in the organization.
- Create beautiful, pixel perfect, and intuitive visualizations.
- Turn feature concepts into thoughtful and highly-usable designs.
- Work collaboratively with product managers and engineers to define the digital user experience of our products with sketches, wireframes, and user flows - through shipping a completed product.
- Prior experience in a start-up environment.
- GIS and/or Geospatial design experience.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Experience with complex data visualizations.
- Strong knowledge of the do's and don’ts when designing a digital user experience.
- 4+ years professional experience as a UI/UX designer at a software product company.
- Stellar interpersonal and communication skills.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
How to Apply
If this job aligns with your passion and experience, we would love to hear from you!
Email your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you’re excited about the open position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP