Stay up to date on the latest Sofar news
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
We’re excited to share a major update to the OpenROV Cockpit App and Trident vehicle software/firmware. The update enables a telemetry overlay on Trident video recordings. Please update the app to the new version and follow the instructions in the app to update your Trident to the latest software. Detailed instructions are below.
We would like to take a moment to acknowledge the members of the Trident Pilot’s Group on Facebook for helping us beta test.
One of the frequent requests from our users has been to incorporate telemetry into the Trident experience. This update provides users with the ability to see Trident data such as depth and heading overlaid on the 1080p high-quality Trident video recording.
This feature can be toggled on and off via the settings in the app. By default, it’s off.
The telemetry overlay will be recorded only on the 1080p high-quality video. The 720p pilot video stream will not have the telemetry overlay regardless of whether the telemetry overlay option is on or off.
The option to record telemetry can be turned off at any time, however any 1080p videos recorded while the option is on will still have the telemetry overlaid and vice-versa.
It is crucial that your Trident is up-to-date. Please follow these steps to update your app and vehicle software/firmware:
- Make sure your Trident is fully charged.
- Make sure you have a good WiFi internet connection available.
Note: Your app may update automatically if the device is connected to the internet and charged/charging. If not, follow the steps below:
- Connect your tablet or phone to the internet.
- Open Google Play (sign in or sign up if you haven’t already)
- Go to the “My apps & games” in the menu.
- Go to the “INSTALLED” tab.
- Select the OpenROV App.
- Press “UPDATE.”
- If you don’t see “UPDATE” you will see “OPEN” instead. This means you have the latest version of the App (check to make sure you're connected to the internet). If you see this but think you have an older version of the app you may have to uninstall and reinstall the app (this will erase your past dives, please back those up first).
- Connect your Trident to the topside.
- Confirm three green LEDs on your topside are on.
- Connect your tablet or phone to the Trident WiFi using the SSID and password on the bottom of the topside unit.
- Open the OpenROV Cockpit App.
- Press “Maintenance” in the bottom-right from the home screen.
The prompt window will appear within 1-3 minutes. Note: This window will only appear if both "Current Connection" and "Internet connection" are "Connected."
*This can take a long time depending on your internet connection speed. Please be patient. If any stage of the update takes longer than an hour, close and re-open the app and restart the update process. If you’re still having issues after restarting the update process, send us an email at email@example.com.
The Sofar Strider is a coastal, near-shore and inland water monitoring platform capable of extended range and multiple sensor configurations.
Over time we’ve learned from our deployments in the field to make gradual refinements in material choices and mechanical design to Spotter. With these changes and a newly incorporated sensor, we are proud to introduce: Spotter v2.